Providing a safe environment for students, guests and employees to learn, participate in personal enrichment activities and work on the campuses is the cornerstone of operations at Alvin Community College. Efforts are made continuously to ensure people and property are protected from harm, such as 24-hour patrols and assistance from Campus Police, mutual aid agreements with local law enforcement agencies, 24-hour access to maintenance personnel, use of a comprehensive communications network, implementation of comprehensive and adaptive emergency plans and more. If an emergency does occur, the College’s goal is to handle it in the most effective manner possible to reduce the likelihood or level of harm to people and property.
Preparing for an emergency is an individual’s responsibility, as well. When students, guests and employees are familiar with emergency plans and procedures and have personal emergency contingency plans, safety and the ability to respond appropriately to an emergency are greatly enhanced. The College has numerous resources relating to emergency preparedness. In addition to familiarizing yourself with the materials that are listed below, more information can be acquired from ACC Campus Police.
To report an emergency or potential emergency situation, immediately contact the ACC Campus Police at (281) 756-3700 or in person at Building H, Room 132.
Examples of emergencies include:
- Utility Failures
- Smoke and/or Fires
- Chemical or Radiation Spills
- Serious Weather
- Violent or Criminal Behavior
- Civil Disturbances
- Life or Health Threatening Medical/Psychological Problems
- Transportation Accidents
- Aircraft Accidents on or nearby Campus
- Chemical and/or Other Biological Releases
- Terrorist Attacks
- Bomb Threats
In the event of an emergency, the College offers numerous methods of communication to inform students and the community of the situation and steps to follow. Depending on the emergency and the appropriate response required, the following methods may be used:
- – Subscribers to Hyper Alert receive short text notification by telephone and/or e-mail of the emergency and any applicable instructions. To register with Hyper Alert, which is strongly encouraged, students click here and employees click here
- – In the event of school closure, it will be announced on
www.school-closings.net. Subscribers to the system will also receive e-mail notification of the closure. To register, visit www.school-closings.net .
- – The College’s radio station, KACC 89.7 FM, and television station, KACC TV Channel 16 on Comcast, can broadcast emergency and school operations notifications and instructions.
- – Information and directions can be published to the College’s Web site (www.alvincollege.edu).
- – Information and directions can be posted on the College’s outdoor electronic marquees located on Mustang Road and Bypass 35 at the entrance of the Nolan Ryan Center.
- – The ACC Campus Police can broadcast the emergency and instructions on the campus-wide telephone system.
- – Information and directions can be sent to subscribers of ACC E-News, the College’s monthly electronic newsletter. To subscribe to ACC E-News, click here.
- – Local print, radio and television media may be contacted of the emergency and applicable instructions.
- – Brief updates to Twitter may be implemented, if appropriate, sending readers to other locations for more detailed information and instructions.
- – Information and directions will be able to be broadcasted on the College’s campus-wide television system, which is currently being installed in buildings throughout the main campus.
The Alvin Community College Emergency Management Plan identifies natural and man-made emergencies that may impact the campus community and details the response procedures that campus officials should follow in case of an emergency. The basic emergency procedures outlined in this guide are to protect life and property through effective use of College resources, and to provide for the physical and emotional well-being of the members of our campus community during and immediately following an emergency.
This document describes an integrated plan for responding to a College emergency. Whenever an emergency affecting the College reaches proportions that cannot be handled by routine measures, the president, or his/her designee, may declare a state of emergency and implement the Emergency Management Plan. It is recognized that the specific actions implemented will be dependent on the nature and severity of the situation. Since an emergency may be sudden and without warning, these procedures are designed to be flexible in order to accommodate contingencies of various types and magnitudes.
When an emergency occurs, ACC Campus Police will contact members of the Campus Emergency Response Team, which consists of a policy group and a response group. The policy group is led by the president and includes members of the Planning Team. The Emergency Response Team includes the following:
Emergency Director: College President or designee
Emergency Coordinator: Chief of Campus Police
Physical Damage: Director of Physical Plant
Financial Impact: Dean of Financial and Administrative Services
Academic Impact: Dean of Instruction/Provost
Student Impact: Dean of Students
Employee Impact: Director of Human Resources
Legal Considerations: President or designee
Public Information: Assistant to the President
Technology Resources: Director of Information Technology
Student and Academic Impact: Dean of Academic Programs
Student and Academic Impact: Dean of Technical Programs
Student and Academic Impact: Dean of Continuing Education
The Emergency Response Team is responsible for implementing the overall Emergency Management Plan . All team members will alert and coordinate additional staff support as needed for meeting the emergency, while the president with the advice of the Planning Team, will make emergency policy decisions and request outside assistance when necessary. Other campus individuals may find it necessary to respond, depending on how the emergency affects their individual units and on what type of additional support service their unit can provide.
Information Technology Emergency Contingency Plan
To help ensure information security, continuity of services and continuous communication in the event of an emergency, the Information Technology Department at ACC has comprehensive, versatile and adaptable contingency plans and systems to respond to various scenarios as outlined in the Emergency Management Plan. For more information, contact ACC IT Department at email@example.com or (281) 756-3536.
College Police Department
Building H, Room 132
To report an emergency:
On Campus 3700
Off Campus 281.756.3700