Foster Care Alumni Support Program at ACC
Alvin Community College is honored to take part in supporting students who were formerly in Foster Care. This webpage can provide information to assist students in their transition into college, and beyond.
Foster Care Liaison Officer at Alvin Community College
The Foster Care Liaison Officer (FCLO) serves as the initial point of contact, advocate and connects Foster Care students with services on and off campus. ACC’s Foster Care Liaison Officer (FCLO) at Alvin Community College is Diana Stiles, LPC, Counselor in the Advising Department.
McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
The FCLO supports students accessing resources related to the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. The FCLO may assist with the following:
- Expanded guidance with admissions, registration and referral to financial aid
- Guidance in obtaining one’s Tuition and Fees Waiver Exemption letter and other documents
- Assistance with paperwork required for the federal Education Training Voucher (ETV) grant
- Coordinating appointments with the Office of Disability Services (ODS) at ACC if needed
- Expanded guidance with career testing and job placement on and off-campus
- Exploration of college programs at ACC and university transfer programs
- Highlighting on-campus activities and basic student information
- Referrals to ACC Tutoring and Learning Lab and study skills information
- Providing confidential personal and crisis counseling
- Referrals for financial planning and other community resources
The Texas Education Agency requires that each institution of higher education appoint a Foster Care Liaison Officer to assist in coordinating educational support services on and off campus and to other relevant information directly to individuals who are currently or were previously placed in foster care. For more information about this service at ACC call 281-756-3534 or 3531.