Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography (DCVS)
To enter the Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography program at Alvin Community College the following immunizations/tests are required by State Law for Clinical Facilities.
Prior to Application
Hepatitis B Vaccine
Proof of completion of the hepatitis B vaccination series or serologic confirmation of immunity to hepatitis B is required as a condition of full acceptance to the program. This is a series of 3 shots and can take up to 6 months to complete. Accelerated series are also accepted. ALL 3 injections are required at time of application.
In addition to the 3 shot series the Hepatitis B TITER is now required by most clinical sites. Hep B titer should be provided by all students prior to the first day of clinical. (Attach laboratory proof of Hep B titer demonstrating immunity).
Varicella (Chicken pox):
Vaccination series with two doses of varicella administered 4 – 8 weeks apart
Serologic titer test positive for varicella antibody. (Attach laboratory proof of varicella titer demonstrating immunity) Physician statement verifying proof of disease is NOT acceptable.
MMR – (Measles Mumps and Rubella)
Born on or after 1957, 2 doses are required. If born before 1957, one does is required.
Measles (Rubeola) – Those born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of either:
- Two doses of measles vaccine on or after their first birthday and at least 30 days apart OR
- Serologic test positive for measles antibody (attach laboratory proof of measles titer demonstrating immunity)
Mumps – Those born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of either:
- One dose of mumps vaccine on or after their first birthday OR
- Serologic test positive for mumps antibody (attach laboratory proof of mumps titer demonstrating immunity)
Rubella – those born on or after January 1, 1957, must show proof of either:
- One does of rubella vaccine on or after their first birthday OR
- Serologic test for rubella antibody (attach laboratory proof or rubella titer demonstrating immunity)
TDaP (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis)
All three are NOW required. One dose within the last 10 years and AFTER the age of 18 is required.
A seasonal flu vaccine is required annually for continued clinical participation.
Upon acceptance students will also be required to have the following: (information and required forms will be included in your acceptance packet)
- Physical Exam, documentation of adequate hearing, vision and color vision
- Tuberculin Test (PPD) (or chest x-ray): Required annually - should be done close to the time you begin the program to last throughout the academic
- NEW REQUIREMENT REGARDING THE PPD: According to new CDC recommendations a QuantiFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube test (QFT-GIT)
will now be required for the following:
- anyone with a positive PPD (skin test)
- anyone ever having received BCG
- anyone not born in the US (i.e. all foreign born students, regardless of age and length of time in the US). The blood test replaces the chest x-ray requirement, and is good for one year.
- Criminal background check
- Drug screen
COLLEGE & CAREER PATHWAYS
Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography is part of our Health Career Pathway. Click the box below to see other Health programs that may interest you.