Credit Classes Refund Policy

Tuition refunds are issued based upon the official date of withdrawal and they must be made electronically or in writing. Withdrawals made using an automated system are effective when the transaction is complete. Withdrawals submitted in writing are effective according to the date they are received in the Registrar’s Office.

If tuition and fees are paid with financial aid funds, the refund is applied first to the financial aid source and then to the student. Refunds for Title IV grants are made according to the Refund Schedule available in the Financial Aid Office. The college reserves the right to make the final decision on all refunds.

Refunds are mailed approximately six weeks after the close of registration.

Course Cancellation

If the College cancels a scheduled course, a full refund will be granted.

Schedule Changes

If you change your schedule and the net result is an increase in tuition and fees, you must pay the difference. If the net result is a decrease in tuition and fees, the refund is based on the refund schedule.

Withdrawing from All Classes

It is recommended that you talk to the instructor before withdrawing. The withdrawal process begins in the Admissions Office by completing a Withdrawal Form. You then must take the form to the Advising Services Office for processing by the deadline. If you don't withdraw by the deadline, you will receive a grade of “F” in your courses. Withdrawals must be consistent with the Alvin Community College Developmental Education Plan.

If you cannot withdraw in person, a signed request may be mailed to the Admissions Office. Include your name, social security number, course(s) from which you want to withdraw, and phone number where you can be reached. Confirm receipt of the withdrawal by calling 281-756-3531. Please know that if you reduce your semester hours, you may jeopardize your insurance coverage, financial aid, veteran's benefits, or enrollment in other courses. Students may send requests here. 

If you are receiving Financial Aid and drop your classes, you may be required to repay part of your financial aid. Federal law governs the refunds of Financial Aid by students who withdraw (or who are dropped) from their courses. Students who drop all of their course work within the first 60 percent of the semester will be required to repay a portion of their Pell Grant.

Active Military Service Withdrawal 

If you are called into active military service, you may request one of the following from the Dean of Student Services:

  1. Institutional refund of the tuition and fees paid for the semester of the withdrawal.
  2. Receive an incomplete grade in all courses by designating "withdrawn-military" on your transcript.
  3. As determined by the instructor, receive an appropriate final grade or credit if you have satisfactorily completed a substantial amount of course work and have demonstrated sufficient mastery of the course material.

There will be no penalty assessed to students receiving any form of financial aid.

Contact Information

Business Office
Building A, 1st Floor
Phone: 281-756-3509
Fax: 281-756-3835